The charity owns 32 homes – almshouses – on More’s Meadow in the village. Purpose built to our design, this development of one, two and three bedroom properties was opened in 1996 by Betty Boothroyd, Speaker of the House of Commons from 1992 to 2000.
We also own some 10 acres of open land on the edge of village, adjacent to More’s Meadow. Some of this is given over to allotments which are rented out to local people. The remainder comprises grassland with footpaths and benches for public use.
We plan to develop further affordable housing on some of this land, while retaining and improving ample green spaces for allotments, recreation and conservation.
The Charities also provide grants and make donations in support of local organisations and good causes.
What is an almshouse anyway? See the Almshouse Association’s definition.
*The Parochial Charities was established in 1890 by the merging of three pre-existing charities: Town Lands and Town Houses; John More’s Charity, founded 1705; Lettice Martin’s Charity, founded 1562. Below are the original Charity Commission deeds from 1890 and 1973.
|Dr Sarah Rann||Chair of Trustees. NHS England and ex-Great Shelford GP|
|Brian Connellan||Deputy Chair. Point of contact for the new development|
|Jaspaul Hill MBE||Trustee. Ex-headteacher and Ofsted inspector|
|Mary Lester||Clerk to the Trustees|
|Michael Pooles QC||Trustee. Barrister|
|Dr Keith Sugden||Trustee. Point of contact for the allotments, community garden and open land|
|Rev Canon Simon Talbott||Trustee. Vicar of Great Shelford, Rural Dean of Granta, Hon. Canon of Ely Cathedral|
|Simon White||Trustee and treasurer. Chartered Accountant|